How To Enter Samsung Galaxy S4 Download Mode
Samsung Galaxy S4 has the possibility to use its Android Download Mode to install official firmware files or any other custom files developed to improve your device’s performance. During this article, we will share for you the information and instructions about how to boot into Download Mode your Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 has the possibility to use its Android Download Mode to install official firmware files or any other custom files developed to improve your device’s performance.
During this article, we will share for you the information and instructions about how to boot into Download Mode your Samsung Galaxy S4 device.
The Download Mode is a tool that Samsung is using instead of similar tools such as Fastboot or Bootloader Mode that are used by other powerful devices from HTC or Nexus.
From this step by step guide, that we will provide you in the following lines you’ll learn to enter into Download Mode remarkably easy only be pressing several buttons from your S4 device.
We will provide you different methods for different S4 devices which are running official firmware and for rooted Galaxy S4 devices.
If you’re asking yourself: “why should I enter into Download Mode menu” then you should know that Download Mode tool allow you to flash different new OTA firmware updates, firmware that you need to push them using your PC directly on your Samsung Galaxy S4 device using its original USB cord.
When you want to use the Download Mode to install new firmware on your device you’ll need to have installed on your computer a specific software named ODIN, which is an application that was especially developed by Samsung for this kind of flashing actions.
We will provide you the links to download different versions for ODIN apps at the end of our article. These ODIN versions work with different Samsung smartphones or tablets, the ODIN version that you need to use to flash different firmware version should be specified in the tutorials instructions.
Entering into S4 device’s Download Mode for rooting or stock devices can be accessible in the same mode. For the both cases, the procedure begging with powering off your S4 device totally, and after that you’ll use a combination of buttons to access the Download Mode menu and to navigate inside of it to load and to do different functions. Sometimes, when the S4 is a rooted device, the way to entering into download mode can be a bit different; we will explain the modality like an example in the next section.
Note: All the instructions and information listed here are provided only for educational and instructional purposing, we (android.sc) team cannot be responsible or held liable if your device gets bricked or damage or if you’ll lose any data during or after this tutorial. Use these instructions on your own risk.
Firstly I will teach you the way for entering into Download Mode if your Samsung Galaxy S4 device is running on an official Android OS firmware:
- Firstly, power off your Samsung Galaxy S4 totally and after that remove its battery and keep it out around of 10 seconds.
- Secondly, Re-insert the device’s battery back in its specific location.
- Thirdly, press and keep holding the following combination of buttons: Volume Down, Home and Power buttons simultaneous.
- Now, when the ‘Warning!!’ message will be displayed release the buttons.
- After you released the buttons, press Volume UP button, for confirming that you want to enter into Download Mode Menu.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S4 device will display an Android logo colored in green, and an additional text message with the ‘Downloading… Do not turn off target’ text message under the green Android logo.
- These are the steps, you’re entering in the Download Mode Menu, and now you can connect your S4 device to the computer after the ODIN app is OPEN.
After your device has been booted into Download Mode, you can begin the flashing procedures, to transfer different files, or to install new official or custom firmware Android OS.
The step by step guide listed above will work for both version of S4 device, rooted S4 device or if is running an official Android operating system.
The second way for entering in the Download Mode for Samsung Galaxy S4 is for devices that are running on different custom ROMs firmware. At the end of the following step by step guide, you’ll be able to boot your S4 device into Download Mode directly from their home screens using a few combinations of buttons.
The procedure is simple, only select the reboot function and then ‘Download’ option.
In case in the reboot menu not exist the download button, we will teach you in the below section how to add this button.
For the S4 devices that are rooted an alternative method can be used for entering in its Download Mode. You’ll be able to load different files that the procedure that you will use required directly from your Android device’s home screen. To do that press the Power button and after that tap several times on the device’s display.
For using these shortcut ways, to enter into Download mode, you have to download and flash several custom files on your S4 device using the following instruction and the custom Recovery mode.
Note: These instructions from below are compatible and works only if your device is rooted and is running a custom Recovery image on it.
First, download the custom file that is corresponding to your Samsung Galaxy S4 version from below:
- For Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 International variant download the file from here.
- For Samsung Galaxy S4 Sprint version from here
- T-Mobile from here.
- AT&T here.
After you have downloaded the corresponding file with your S4 device you have to:
- Move the downloaded file on your device’s internal SDcard.
- Now, boot your Samsung Galaxy S4 device into Recovery Mode. To do this press and keep holding when the device is switched off the following combination of buttons: Volume Up, Home and Power simultaneous.
- Now, from the Advanced setting menu clear the Cache and the Dalvik Cache.
- From the main recovery mode menu create a NANDROID backup using the ‘backup and restore’ feature. This backup will represent a restore point for your actual firmware that is running in your device.
- Now, from the main Recovery Mode menu select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Next, browse and load the copied file and confirm for its installation.
- Now, back on the main Recovery Mode menu and from there chose Reboot system now.
- The Samsung Galaxy S4 device will get a restart and the new changes should been flashed on it.
- You can easily test to entering into Download Mode menu, with a simply press action on the Power button until the ‘Device Options’ display is showed, from there select reboot and then choose ‘Download’ option from the menu, after that press OK to confirm. Now, your Samsung Galaxy S4 device is going to restart into Download Mode.
Congratulation, you successfully learned the step by step guides in order to enter into Download Mode for Samsung Galaxy S4 device.
Now, after you downloaded the suitable ODIN version with your needs, you need to extract its contents and make sure you’ll save all the archive files contain into a single folder. Now you have to use your step by step tutorials to flash or to customize your device using the Download Mode capabilities.
For any extra questions, please dont hesitate to use the comments section from below.