Install the CM11 Android 4.4 KitKat Custom ROM Firmware on Xperia Z device [Guide]
The Xperia Z device can be updated with the latest Android OS using CM 11 firmware based on Android 4.4 KitKat OS. As you probably know that, the new official Android 4.4 KitKat firmware is currently available only for Moto X and Nexus devices. During this step by step guide, we will teach you …
The Xperia Z device can be updated with the latest Android OS using CM 11 firmware based on Android 4.4 KitKat OS.
As you probably know that, the new official Android 4.4 KitKat firmware is currently available only for Moto X and Nexus devices.
During this step by step guide, we will teach you how easily manually install the latest CM 11 custom ROM build on Android 4.4 KitKat on Xperia Z device.
The latest CM 11 custom ROM is the latest release of the CyanogenMod team, and it is based on Android 4.4 KitKat firmware. This new custom ROM comes with new extra features, applications and capabilities.
Note: This present custom ROM isn’t the official firmware released by CyanogenMod and it is a CM 11 OS developed by those of xda forum developers, so knowing that there might some minor bugs included on this firmware. Don’t worry these existing issues will soon be solved.
According to those who have downloaded and installed the present CM 11 on their Xperia Z devices, it is stable and works without issues reported, but you should keep in mind this this firmware represents only a free distribution of Android 4.4 and it is not released by Sony or Google officially.
Because of that the present firmware is a custom ROM the warranty of your Sony Xperia Z device will get void while installing the same. Related of the warranty void, you can restore the same by downgrading to stock Android Jelly Bean firmware or by updating the device with the official Android KitKat OS when this will be official rolled out.
Note: On a rooted device the official updates can be only manually flashed.
To be able to complete this step by step instructional guide the root access must be obtained.
So, before moving to do anything else, root the Sony Xperia Z device, else the new custom ROM won’t be able to be flashed on the device.
After the Xperia Z device is rooted, you need to install the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery on the device. So, do not skip this part as without a custom recovery images such as CWM or TWRP recovery image installed; otherwise the step by step guide can’t be completed.
Backup all the data of your Xperia Z device. A wipe operation is required, and when wiping the system the data stored on the internal storage memory will be deleted or corrupted.
It is recommended to get a Nandroid backup for your current OS. In case the new custom ROM (CM11) will not be on your taste then you can restore the previous Operating System.
A personal computer will be used during the tutorial, the USB cable and the Sony Xperia Z device.
Uninstall or disable the security protections that are currently activated and running on your PC.
Ensure that the USB debugging mode option is enabled, you can do this from “menu>settings>developer options”.
Make sure that the device’s battery has more than 65% power left, other ways if this level is less than this level the smartphone can take a forced power off in the middle of the flashing process and can brick the same.
How to Install the CM11 Android 4.4 KitKat Custom ROM Firmware on Xperia Z device:
- Firstly, download CM11 based on Android 4.4 KitKat from here save it on the desktop folder to computer.
- Secondly, Download Google apps pack from here and save it on your desktop folder to PC.
- Do not extract(unzip) the downloaded files
- Connect the device to the PC by using the USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded files by using copy-paste or drag and drop function on the Xperia Z phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the PC. The computer won’t be used anymore now.
- Boot the Sony Xperia Z into recovery mode. You can learn how to do this from here.
- From the main recovery mode select “wipe data factory reset” and then select “wipe cache partition” and then pick “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Now, from the main recovery menu select”install zip from SD card” and then “choose zip from SD card”.
- Now, load the transferred the CM11 firmware file.
- Confirm for installation of the update file.
- Repeat the same if you want to install the Google apps pack.
- Now, return to the main recovery menu and from there “reboot system now”.
Congratulation, you have successfully learned how to install the custom CM 11 Android 4.4 KitKat firmware on the Sony Xperia Z device.