One of the most anticipated phones of the year, the OnePlus 5 is built like a premium smartphone and manages to distinguish from the manufacturer’s previous models, with curved edges that make it easier to hold. In terms of performance, it comes with 1.9GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835chipset and 8GB of RAM. The smartphone runs Oxygen 4.5.5 OSproviding the stock Android experience with some extra added features.
Read Also: How to Unlock the OnePlus 5 Bootloader
As we know by now, the OnePlus devices are very popular among developers, and now folks from XDA, havecome whit a way to install custom recovery and root this new device. So, if you’ve decided to gain super user power over your OnePlus 5 device by rooting your device, you can follow the guide given below. Obtaining the root access can help you use your device full potential. The root process is in fact an unlock actionfor the Android core system. After root you will be able to customizeand optimize the Android UI and other built-in features, settings and apps.
Pre-requisites before starting the root process:
- Charge your device up to 70-80% before doing anything.
- Backup all your files because unlocking the bootloader is necessary and this will wipe away all the data of your OnePlus 5.
- USB Debugging must to be turned on. USB Debugging feature can be found in the Developer Option menu. To activate the Developer Options go to Settings -> About phone then tap seven times consecutively on the build number.
- You need also to enable OEM unlock option found also in Developer Options.
- Unlock the bootloaderof your device and install a custom recovery image on it. Note that without these two processes, you will not be able to root your OnePlus 5.
How to Root the OnePlus 5 using SuperSU and TWRP custom recovery
- On your computer download from here the SuperSU root exploit for the OnePlus 5 device and move the file on the desktop to be able to find it easy.
- Power on your smartphone and then connect it to your computer using the USB cable.
- Pick up the downloaded root package from your computer and transfer it on the internal storage of your device.
- Remove the USB connection when the copy-paste maneuver is completed.
- Power off your device and wait while the process is done.
- Next, reboot Recovery Mode on your OnePlus 5 device – press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons at once, for a few seconds and release the buttons when the OnePlus logo is displayed on your device’s screen.
- From Recovery, tap Install.
- Pick up the SuperSU package and swipe to start the installation process.
- When the installation is completed, return to the main menu of Recovery and select “Reboot system now”.
- If a boot loop will be issued, return to Recovery and make a wipe by picking up ‘wipe data factory reset’, ‘wipe cache partition’ and ‘wipe dalvik cache’. Root access is now ensured on your OnePlus 5