Root Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS firmware
The present root method is provided for all the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 owners that have run the latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS firmware who want to root their device or to install a custom ROM firmware, custom recovery tools, and to do other custom optimization on their S2 device.
During this step by step guide, you will learn how easily you can obtain the root rights on your Samsung Galaxy S2 device.
As I said before, this method is for the SGS2 devices which have already installed the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSS firmware on their device. Do not apply this step by step guide with your smartphone if it isn’t in an official XWLSS firmware. If it is running on another different firmware, you can learn a suitable root method such as One-click root solution for Samsung Galaxy S3 or how to root almost any Android based devices.
When you want to have the root rights on your device the root operation isn’t a simple operation and when apply it you do modifications at the file system level of your operating system in your device. Also, when you gain the root access the factory restrictions and the default settings will be remove. Unfortunately, the warranty of your device will be void.
Why do users choose to root their device? Because a rooted device can be customize and optimize their device in order with their needs, is possible to flash new customs ROMs that are available for their device models, to install the custom recovery images, add new tools, optimize and customize the performance for their operating system and so on.
So, rooting your Samsung Galaxy S2 device becomes a must have for users who want more from their device. If you want to root your device, then in the next parts we will teach you step by step the guidelines that you need to follow.
Before starting the step by step root guide some prerequisites have to be applied and know firstly:
- So, by performing the root access the warranty for your device will be void, if you want to restore the device’s warranty then you need to apply a downgrade to the stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XWLSS firmware or to apply an official Android firmware.
- Backup all data that you have stored in the device’s internal memory. The rooting operation doesn’t wipe the system of your S2 device, and we will use for applying the root with the ODIN app, that is a tool developed by Samsung. But you never know what can happen, and fro that we strongly recommend to backup all your personal and important data. For that, you can save your SMS, call logs, market apps, sync your contacts with your Gmail accounts, save the EFS folder, save your pictures, movies files, documents and all your other data.
- Also, after you obtain the root access you can install the custom recovery images app and with this application you can perform complex backup operations like backup and restore NANDROID backup.
- To apply this step by step root guide, a windows computer will be used.
- Disable or uninstall the antivirus and the firewall that you are running on your PC and Android device. These programs can interfere with the rooting process and can interrupt the same.
- Enable the USB Debugging option from the next path: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Charge the device’s battery device to have more than 70% power left, if not your device can get a forced power off during the rooting process.
- This tutorial is provided only for Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100 that has installed and runs on official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS firmware. Do not try to apply this step by step guide for any other different device, or if your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 device runs a different ROM version.
How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 on official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS Firmware
- Firstly, download the root pack file from here and save it in your PC.
- Secondly, download and install Odin app.
- Now, open the Odin on your computer.
- Make sure you have installed the proper drivers for your S2 device, if not you can use the Samsung KIES for installing the same.
- Now, turn off your S2 smartphone.
- Reboot your S2 device into download mode. To do that, you need to press and keep holding the Volume Down + Power + Menu buttons together.
- While your device is in the Download Mode menu, connect it to the computer using the USB cable.
- When the connection is done on the ODIN app the ID:COM area will be colored in yellow or blue color, and a “added” message will be displayed.
- In case you’ll not be notified with the above ODIN connection elements, remove the USB cord, close the ODIN app and go to reinstall the Samsung Galaxy S2 drivers again, after those repeat the entire guide step from the beginning.
- Now, from the ODIN app select the “PDA” button.
- Browse and load the downloaded file from your PC.
- Make sure the re- partition section in the ODIN app is unchecked. Do not perform other changes in the ODIN app.
- When you want to start the flashing process click on START button from the ODIN app.
- Now wait until the ODIN app will finish the rooting process.
- When the rooting process is done the Odin app will display the “pass” message, that message show you the process is done meaning that you are finished the rooting process.
- Disconnect the smartphone from the PC and reboot your SGS2 I9100 Android device.
Troubleshooting and tips:
- If ODIN app gets stuck during the rooting process you need to follow:
- Firstly, close the ODIN app on the PC.
- Secondly, disconnect the device from the PC.
- Thirty force to restart the S2 device.
- Reinstall the S2 proper drivers on your computer again.
- Next, boot your S2 device into download mode again.
- Open the ODIN app and reconnect your smartphone with the computer.
- Repeat the step by step root guide from the begging.
- If your device is stuck in a boot loop or the ODIN app is frozen, in this case you need to follow these guidelines:
- Firstly, turn off your SGS2 device.
- Secondly, boot it into recovery mode. To do that press and keep holding the Volume Up + Power + Menu buttons in the same time for a few second until the Recovery Mode it is displayed.
- Next, from the recovery mode menu select the “wipe data factory reset” option.
- Now, return in the main Recovery Menu.
- From the Recovery Menu select “reboot system now”
There you have it, now you successfully learned how to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100 device on official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS firmware. For verifying if your device has been rooted or not, please download and install from the Google Play Store the Root Checker application.
If you want to reinstall the official XWLSS ROM on your S2 smartphone, you can use our manually step by step official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XWLSS ROM update tutorial.
For any other supplementary questions, please don’t hesitate to use our comment section from below