If you want know how to install custom ROMs on the Nexus 7 Tablet, first you must to install ClockworkMod recovery on your device. In this article, we will share with you a tutorial about how to flash ClockWorkMod recovery on your Google Nexus 7 Tablet. Then you have been installed ClockWorkMod, after you can install on your device any custom ROM compatible with this model.
Important: This tutorial is compatible and can be applied only for ASUS Nexus 7 tablet.
Warning: This post is only for the educational purpose. So if, anything happens to your device we are not responsible for that.
Guide to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Nexus 7
- First you must Root and Unlook the bootloader on your device, we recommend using Nexus Root Toolkit for that.
- We always recommend to backup all your data stored on your device, because the unlocking the bootloader process total resets and erase all your data stored on your device.
- Contacts, sync with the Gmail account.
- Call Logs use Call Log and Restore
- Internet connection, APN and MMS Settings Note Down from the next path:
“Applications – Settings and then Wireless and Network – Mobile Networks and Access Point Names”
- Important data stored , (Images, Songs, Video files, or other files), Copy to internal/ External SD Card.
- The drivers necessary for your device are installed by the toolkit on your Computer.
- Now, Download the ClockworkMod recovery image. The downloaded file will be a “.img “File.
- Now, download fastboot, the file name will be ”Fastboot.zip” after the download process is done, extract the “Fastboot.zip” file on your PC to the C:\ drive. You will have a folder named Fastboot 4 files inside of it.
- On this step you should copy the **.img file (where ** represent the name of the img file downloaded on your PC above) to the Fastboot folder located on the C:\ drive on your PC. Now you will have 5 files inside of the Fastboot folder.
- On this step, download ES File Explorer File Manager on your Nexus 7 tablet from Google Play Store and after install it.
- Now, Open ES Explorer on your device and click the menu button, then click on Settings icon, after that tick “Up to Root” option. Go down and here you will find “Root Explorer” option, tick this option. After that press Allow/Grant button, then tick the “Mount File System Option”. When all this steps are done, please press back, to exist on the settings menu.
- Now, on the top press UP and go to the /. Then you should go into the system folder and press long on the “recovery-from-boot.p” file, and after that delete it. This thing is required because CMW recovery will be get overwritten after the first reboot. If the “recovery-from-boot.p” file isn’t there, please pass to the next step.
- For now, please go into your device and access the “Settings” and after “Developer options”, click on the top button to Turn On the developer option, and after that enable USB Debugging.
- Connect your Nexus 7 tablet to the computer. You should wait now to installing the drivers for your device on the PC.
- Open Start Menu on your Windows operating System and go to “Run” app, and after that type CMD and press enter. Or you can find the command prompt on the next windows path: All Programs » Accessories » Command prompt.
- Now here in CMD windows you should enter the 3 commands to flash Clockwork recovery on your device:
- cd C:\Fastboot
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot flash recovery _____.img
* the adb reboot bootloader will reboot your tablet into fastboot mode.
* for the _____ space you should replace with the name obtained from the downloaded .img File.
With this commands, ClockworkMod recovery will be flashed on your device, and after the process are done, you will get a OKAY message in the CMD windows.
For make a reboot you should type on CMD fastboot reboot command, this command will reboot your tablet.
Now it’s time to verify your CMW recovery, for make this you should turn off your Nexus 7 tablet. When the tablet is turned off, please press and hold in the same time the next combination of buttons: Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons, this combination will boot your device into CWM recovery.
For select it in case you have installed the basic version of CWM, use the volumes buttons to navigate up and down into the menu, and the power button for make the selection.
If you have touch version, swipe up/down and select the option with a tap.
You’ve successfully installed the ClockworkMod recovery on your Google Nexus 7 Tablet, now you know How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Google Nexus 7 device.