The Xiaomi’s MIUI is among the best smartphones in terms of custom user interfaces on Android. The reason is it packs in a lot of features, and MIUI 9, the latest update is no different.
MIUI 9 is already official, and it comes with a lot of new features and performance improvement that makes the user experience superior. One of the most awaited features of MIUI is multitasked with split screen functionality. Other features added by MIUI 9 update are: increase productivity with smart assistant, better home screen management, search pictures faster with People Search, lock screen enhancements, better notification management, quick switch, intelligent sleep mode and new transition effects.
The Chinese manufacturer shared the release date and list of Xiaomi Mi and Redmi phones eligible to receive the MIUI 9 update and lately, the company announced the MIUI 9 beta program where Xiaomi users can experience the latest MIUI skin before the initial stable OTA release. Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X and Mi6 are the first devices to get MIUI 9 Beta update.
Below there is a guide on how to install the MIUI 9 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2 devices. It works in both Global and China versions.
Before starting the installation process, make sure you met the following prerequisites:
- Make sure your device’s battery is fully charged to avoid power-off during the installation process.
- Back up all your important data.
- You have to download Recovery or Fastboot package depending on your devices ROM version. If your device is running the Developer ROM, you should download the Recovery package with a .zip extension and if your device is running the stable ROM, you should download the Fastboot package with .tgz extension.
- Installing MIUI 9 ROM with Fastboot mode needs an unlocked bootloader. So, first unlock the bootloader of your Xiaomi device.
- (Switch off your device and then press and hold volume down and power button simultaneously. This will power up the device with fastboot screen.)
- Download and install the Xiaomi USB Drivers on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging option on your device.
- The download links are:
- Download from here the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Recovery ROM and from here the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4Fastboot ROM.
How to Flash MIUI 9 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2 Devices
Recovery ROM can be installed directly through app and Fastboot ROM requires the Mi Flash Windows application.
How to Install MIUI 9 Recovery ROM
- Make sure your device is running the latest MIUI 8 ROM. To check, go to Settings ->About phone -> System updates -> Check for updates.
- Download MIUI 9 ROM file from above and save it to the device’s storage.
- From App Drawer, launch “Updater” app on your device.
- From the main screen of Updater app, tap on three-dot men on the top right corner and select the option ‘choose update package’.
- Select the MIUI 9 Recovery ROM file and confirm. The installation process will start automatically.
- When the installation process is over, your Xiaomi device will automatically boot into MIUI 9 ROM.
How to Install MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM
- Download and install Mi Flash Tool on your computer.
- Before fast-booting, you must have the bootloader unlockedon the Xiaomi device.
- Download MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM on your computer.
- Turn off the device and boot it into Fastboot mode. (Power-on your device by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time).
- Connect the Xiaomi device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Launch Mi Flash Tool and enter the path of MIUI 9 ROM into the address bar.
- Click the Refresh button in the flash tool app.
- Click on Flash button to start the installation process.
- The Xiaomi device will automatically boot into latest MIUI 9 ROM once the installation process is over.