Sony Xperia S LT26i has received a new Android OS update, named Android 4.1.2 6.2.B.1.96 Jelly Bean firmware. It is rolled by OTA for Sweden, Nordic countries, India, Brazil, Taiwan, Spain and several Nordic countries.
The new Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean 6.2.B.1.96 firmware packs some notable features such as Volume Up button lag fixed; 1080p HD video lag is fixed, Long pressing Home button launches Google Now; screen not lightning bug fixed; pressing Home button twice launches recent apps and small apps; extended battery mode added, all camera bugs fixed, 685 MB RAM available (More free RAM now), no lags in keyboard; MMS pictures bug fixed; Music Unlimited update app in Walkman; Home launcher not redrawing anymore (perform data wipe for it), no more false warning of Stamina Mode when battery reaches 14%; camera Focus improved compared to the previous firmware update and more.
To verify if the new update is available for your device by OTA, you should navigate to Settings>> System>> About phone>> Software update>> OK, you can verify the same by using Sony PC Companion or Sony Bridge for Mac PC’s users.
For users, who have not received the OTA update,they can use this step by step instructions guide to flash the new update manually.
We will present you two methods; one via Sony Companion or Bridge and the second by using the Sony flash tool.
So, before starting our flashing methods, some pre-requisites are required: First, you need to know this step by step guide provided for educational and instructional purpose. Download and install the USB drivers for Sony Xperia S device, these drivers help you to connect the Android device with the PC.
- Navigate to Menu > Settings > Applications and from click on Development option and enable USB debugging mode by checking USB debugging mode.
- This guide might wipe your entire data stored intro device’s internal mode.In order to prevent to lose your data create a backup.
- If your Xperia device has a custom recovery image tool such as CWM or TWRP,you can create a full Nandroid backup for your actual ROM using recovery.
- Make sure that the Xperia S device has more than 80 % battery charge.
- If the device is rooted, the root rights will be revoked, after the official firmware is installed on the Xperia S device.
- The new update (Android 4.1.2 JB 6.2.B.1.96 firmware) works only with Sony Xperia S LT 26i, so don’tflash the same for any other devices, you can brick them.
So, to make sure that the Xperia S device is the correct model number navigate to the next path: Settings > About Device > Model Number
How to Install Android 4.1.2 (6.2.B.1.96) on Xperia S via Sony Companion/Bridge
- Download and install the Sony Companion tool, if you have a Windows Pc and the Sony Bridge for Mac computer’s users.
- Connect the Xperia S device to PC using USB cord.
- Now, open Sony Companion or Sony Bridge tool and wait until the device will be detected by the Sony tool.
- Now, check for a new Firmware update at the home of Sony Campanion/Bridge, this new firmware should be presented there.
- Press Firmware Upgrade button to start the installation process.
- Accept all terms and conditions about the upgrade by checking the suitable box, and then press Start Upgrade.
- Now, wait to download and flash the firmware.
- The device will get an automatically restart.
- That’s all; the Xperia S should be running with the latest Android 4.1.2 update.
- Navigate to Settings > About Phone > Android & Baseband version to verify the new firmware version.
How to Install Android 4.1.2 (6.2.B.1.96) on Xperia S via Sony flash tool
- Download the latest official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean (6.2.B.1.96) firmware for Xperia S LT26i to PC.
- Now, download the Sony Flashtool to PC (Flashtool-0.9.11.0-windows.exe). The flashtool folder should be located in C:
- Install the downloaded Sony Flashtool by double clicking on flashtool.exe.
- Now, run the flashtool by double clicking on flashtool icon.
- Note: when the flashtool is open for the first time on PC, navigate to C: Flashtooldrivers and install Flashtool-drivers.
- Select and check box of Sony Xperia S device and Flashmode drivers.
- Now, connect the Xperia S LT26i device to PCC using the USB cable.
- Next, copy and paste the downloaded .ftf file to next folder:C:flashtoolfirmwares in PC.
- On flashtool, you need click lightning icon and after that click flashmode and OK. ( A new window will appear).
- Now, check Data, Chache, Appslog boxes to wipe the Sony Xperia S device before install the new firmware.
- To retain the data uncheck all the boxes.
- In source folder, select .tft in flashtool/firmwares. .ftf
- Now, press Flash button, when you want to start the flashing process.
- Follow all on-screen prompts to disconnect the smartphone from PC and turn off the device.
- Also, for entering into the device into Flash Mode, you will need to press and keep holding the Volume Down button while connecting the smartphone to PC using the USB cord.
- Now, monitor the Flashtool on PC, it will run and flash the official .ftf file.
- When the flashing process is done, a notification message will say Flashing Finished will be displayed.
Next, when the Sony Xperia S device is turned on, it should run with the new official 6.2.B.1.96 firmware on it.
Verify the new firmware version from Settings > About Phone > Android & Baseband version.