Samsung has started to push the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OTA update for the International Galaxy Note 4 devices. If you want to manually install the new firmware before the OTA update to be available for your own Galaxy Note 4 device, then you can check the info from this post and learn how to do it.
The manual Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update can be completed using the Odin tool, which will help youadd the features, improvements,and functions of the official firmwarebefore the OTA reach your region. Odin can be used to install official firmware over a custom ROM, too, so let’s see what are the requirements and the steps to follow for the manual installation.
Before starting the manually update, make sure that the next pre requisites are met:
- Use this post only if you are an advanced user and only for the International Unlocked Galaxy Note 4 smartphone, SM – N910F model.
- You can check the device’s model under Settings-> About Phone section.
- On your computer, download and install the Samsung USB drivers to make sure that Odin detects your phone.
- Enable the USB Debugging field from the Developer Options menu of your smartphone. If the Developer Options menu is hidden, go to Settings-> About Phone and tap repeatedly 7 times on the Build Number section.
- In case you install the new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallowupdate over rooted firmware, you need to know that the root access will be lost after the update is completed.
- Also in case you’ve installed a custom recovery, then this will be replaced with the stock Recovery image.
- You can install the new update over custom ROMs, but you have to Factory Reset the phone after the update is done.
How to Install the Android 6.0.1 Update for International Galaxy Note 4
Download from here the Android 6.0.1 archive, unzip the contents and save them on your computer. You will obtain the N910FXXU1DPE1 tar.md5 file. Do not extract the contents of the tar.md5 archive.
- Download from here the ODIN 3.10.7 zip files, unzip the files and save them on your computer.
- Power off your Galaxy Note 4 device and boot it into Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on the computer and then connect the device to the computer via USB cable. Wait for the device to be detected by ODIN. In case the device is recognized by Odin try reinstalling the USB drivers one more time.
- Click the AP button in ODIN and load the N910FXXU1DPE1 tar.md5 firmware file.
- Select START to begin the installation.
- When the update is completed, the phone will reboot in normal mode and the PASS message will be shown by ODIN.
- When the “optimizing apps” screen appears, you can unplug the phone from your computer.
In case the PASS message will appear in ODIN, but the phone go in in a boot loop or it blocks at the boot animation screen, then you will have to apply the Factory Resetoperation. Apply the Factory Reset steps from below if you have installed the update over a custom ROM, too, for your phone to boot in normal mode.
How to Factory Reset the Device:
- Power off the phone and boot it into Recovery Mode.
- Select and confirm the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- Reboot your phone in Normal Mode.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the manualinstallation of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official update for your own Samsung Galaxy Note 4 International Unlocked edition.