From Grouper, a XDA forum member, we want to thank for this exceptional work and to share with you this Pure Android 4.2 custom ROM.
This article will teach you to flash all the files in your Android device and after that to have the latest Android OS on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. This version is the first of Jelly Bean 4.2 version for this kind of device (Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone), and in this section of our tutorial we will present you some prerequisites which you must follow before you proceed at the second tutorial part which teach you the how to guide.
Below is what you need to follow before start the flashing process:
- Without the Root and some Verizon files which you need for your smartphone to running as you need expect it to, this Pure Android 4.2 is stock AOSP and don’t have other change or modifications.
- Install this custom ROM only and on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus device. Do not flash this custom ROM on any other devices you risk bricking them.
- In this custom ROM are some bugs related such as the: T-CDMA 64 is listed instead of Verizon Wireless carrier, is not possible to restore apps and saved the wifi passcodes from your Google account. Please use our comment sections if you’ll find other bugs, share with us the bugs issues.
- Your smartphone should have the bootloader unlocked. Find here in this tutorial, how to unlock your bootloader, if you have the bootloader unlocked, then you can skip this point.
- You need to install the CWM Recovery on your Galaxy Nexus Verizon.
- The backup is an extremely important step, and you need to backup all your critical and important data stored on your smartphone. All the data stored in your smartphone will be erased in the updating process. (The SMS, the application which are installed, the contacts, call logs or other data stored on the / system partition).
- Create a full Nandroid backup, for get this backup use the CWM Recovery or other custom recovery image which you consider it is the best for you. This backup file is very important if your device doesn’t boot after the flashed process with Pure Android 4.2 custom ROM, then you can restore this backup file with the same tool you’ve use to made it.
- Make a synchronization for all your contacts, for this you can use or tutorial about Sync your contacts with your Gmail account.
- Now, enable USB Debugging option from your device.
- Verify the battery power level for your smartphone, this level must be more than 50%, if your battery is not charged and your device get a power off in the middle of the flashing process; you can brick your device.
- This procedure and all the instructions from this post are only for the advanced Android users who know what is about, so if you don’t have enough experience in the flashing Android devices, you need to stop here. In case, something goes wrong after flashing this custom ROM you can’t held us responsible for that.
- Reread and respect all the prerequisites and don’t skip any step or instruction listed in how to tutorial, if you’re ready and you understood clear the instructions you can move to the guide about how to install this custom ROM.
This post is only for the educational purpose. So if, anything happens to your device the android.sc team is not responsible for that.
Update Verizon Galaxy Nexus with Pure Android 4.2 Custom ROM –Tutorial
- Download Pure Android 4.2 custom ROM from this page, after that, save the zip file on your computer and don’t extract this file.
- Get the Gapps for Android 4.2 from this link and save this file in your PC.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer using the original USB cable.
- Move the downloaded files in the steps 1 and 2 on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus internal SD card memory. After the copying is done and the files are successfully transferred you can disconnect your device from the computer.
- Now, power off your smartphone and then boot your device into CWM Recovery mode, this is possible if you press simultaneous the following combinations of buttons: volume up, volume down and power, this will load Fastboot mode and there you need to select ‘Recovery mode’ option.
- In the CWM main menu chose to make a Nandroid backup for your existing installed ROM. If you already made this backup, then you can skip this step.
- Now, select ‘Wipe data/ factory reset’ from the CWM Recovery menu, then confirm this action and wait until the wipe process is complete.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Search and select the Pure Android 4.2 ROM zip file and confirm to install it.
- After the Pure Android 4.2 ROM is installed, you should install the the‘GApps for Android 4.2. For this, you need to repeat step 8 and to confirm this action after the installation is complete you need to back to the main recovery menu.
- There, select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until your device booting the first time of Pure Android custom ROM, this first boot shouldn’t take more of 6 minutes.
- Now, join your Google account and now you have all the control over your device. After you’ll explore the new ROM, please use our comment section to share with us your experience.
You can restore the backup if you’re not satisfied by this new custom ROM.
Note: In case you cannot install at the first time, then you need to retry and to apply all the steps listed in this article.
If you have extra questions about this tutorial or you get issues, please use our comment section and ask for more help, or you can check the information on this thread at XDA forum.