Google has released the Android 8.0 Oreo for Pixel and Nexus devices. If you own a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and want to test the features of Android 8.0 Oreo—you can choose to flash the AOSP custom ROM platform based on the Oreo system. Even if it’ not the stock software, you can test an Android system through a custom ROM platform, which is like the official Android Oreo update. If you are an advanced user and want to flash a new Android OS on your Redmi Note 3 device, follow the guidelines given below and learn how to install the new Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM.
The AOSP Android 8.0 Oreo ROM for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 device has been developed by jhenrique09an XDA senior member and we must thank him for his/her effort. The Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP for the Redmi Note 3 is a stable and functional system and you should be able to use it on a daily basis. However, the firmware is still in development stage and you might encounter some issues. Users have encountered issues related with connectivity features such as USB Tether, Hotspot or VoLTE.
The good news is that by running AOSP Android 8.0 ROM, you will test all the Oreo features, apps, and capabilities. So, installing the AOSP custom ROM is the only manner to test what’s new for the Android system before the official Android roll out.
You will be able to complete this update only if your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 device is rooted and installed with a custom recovery image. As you know the root access helps to unlock the system that can be further customized by the new custom ROM. Custom recovery image is required for the actual installation process.
The custom operations are not supported by your OEM, so this will result in losing the warranty of your Redmi Note 3 device. Therefore, it is necessary to have experience in such procedures and to know how to get back to the initial state of your device, if something unexpected happens.
Before doing anything else, you should make a full backup on your Redmi Note 3 as the flashing of Oreo AOSP firmware requires first a hard reset and also a clear app data cache. On your device, you must enable the USB Debugging option. The USB Debugging field can be found under the Developer Options menu.
If you don’t find the Developer Options menu, find the Built Number and tap seven times repeatedly on it, until you see the “you are a developer” message displayed. Make sure your device is completely charged to avoid powering off during the Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP custom ROM installation because it can get bricked.
How to update the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to Android 8.0 Oreo with AOSP Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download from here the Oreo package and save the ROM file on the desktop.
- Power off your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 device, and reboot into Recovery Mode.
- From the recovery mode make a complete wipe by selecting ‘wipe data factory reset’, ‘wipe cache partition’ and ‘wipe Dalvik cache’.
- Then, go back to the main menu of recovery and choose ‘Reboot system now’.
- Connect the device to your computer using the USB cable.
- Pick upthe AOSP ROM file from the computer and place it on your device. Then, disconnect the device from the computer.
- Power off the Xiaomi device and reboot it into recovery mode one more time.
- From recovery mode menu tap on Install and select the Android 8.0 Oreo system.
- Swipe to begin the installation process and wait until the installation is completed.
- When completed, select ‘Reboot system now’ from the main menu of Recovery Mode.
The Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP custom ROM firmware should now boot on your Redmi Note 3 smartphone and you can begin testing how the new OS is running.