Samsung has started rolling out the newest Nougat security patch for its Galaxy S6 devices across Europe. However, if you wish to get it for your device in any other region, you can do so by following below steps.
The primary objective behind releasing this update is to fix the Blueborne vulnerability issues with Galaxy S6. Blueborne is a significant malware revelation and it is recommended to patch it up as soon as possible.
Blueborne vulnerability has been discovered in recent times, and it is a Bluetooth bug that permits any malicious attacker to get access and take control over any Android device any point of time. Malicious attackers can link with Android devices remotely by activating the open Bluetooth port of thedevice if that’s left on the device. Even if you have the ‘discover mode’ set to OFF the Blueborne vulnerability can still be oppressed.
Samsung is releasing the new updates over-the-air, but not everyone will be able to get the files at the same time as others. If you are an advanced user, then you can get the files below and ODIN app to flash them manually.
Before you start flashing the app, keep in mind the following things.
- This tutorial is meant to be applicable only for Samsung Galaxy S6 phones with model no. SM-G920F
- Download and install the Samsung USB drivers on your PC here.
- To make ODIN tool work with your phone and PC, install the above USB drivers, and to enable the USB Debugging option from Developer Options menu, too.
- It is possible to flash the new Android 7.0 Nougat firmware over custom ROMs, but there would be a need to factory reset the phone after that.
- Check battery charge level and ensure that there is enough battery power left on your device.
How to install Android 7.0 Nougat Blueborne Security Update for Samsung Galaxy S6 G920F:
- Download the Android 7 security update.
- Once the download is done, unzip the contents and save them on your PC.
- You will get the G920FXXU5EQI6 tar.md5 firmware update file. Don’t extract the archived contents.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip.
- When the download is done you can retrieve the contents from the file.
- Turn off your device.
- Boot your device in Download Mode.
- Run ODIN on your computer.
- Connect your smartphone to PC via USB cable.
- Wait for the phone to be added, and thenmove to the next step.
- If the Galaxy S6 is not found, youneed to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- In ODIN, click the AP button.
- Detect and load the G920FXXU5EQI6 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- Tap START button to confirm the flashing process.
- Don’t press any buttons until the update is done installing.
- When the flashing process is done you will see the PASS alert shown by the ODIN app. Unplug the phone from PC during the reboot.
- Keep in mind that the first boot process will take a while before it loads all files.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.