OnePlus One ‘flagship killer’, will probably get the Android Nougat update at some point, (although not officially confirmed)but not in the near future. The good news is that if you are an OnePlus One user, you can get your hand on the latest Android Nougat features via custom ROM. There are many custom ROMs out there to choose from, but the Pure Nexus Project firmware is one of the most trustworthy.
Being part of the XDA Developer Forum, the Pure Nexus Project offers the latest features with a clean interface and performance enhancing tweaks. As this is an experimental ROM, expect certain bugs. Hence proceed with caution and also keep in mind that you are doing this on your own risk.
Before the custom ROM installation process, make sure that you are aware of the following:
- This new Pure Nexus Project Android 7.0 Nougat Custom ROM can be installed only on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) models, if tried on other devices it might brick them. So check your device model by going to Settings -> About phone -> Model Number.
- Make sure your device is Bootloader unlocked.
- Learn how to unlock Bootloader at this link.
- The installation of a custom ROM makes the company warranty void and also the device will no longer be eligible for further updates. But you can always restore the warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM.
- The custom ROM installation process requires clearing of memory, so before starting, remember to install Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP, to back up all the data.
- Install USB drivers on the PC, or your OnePlus One device will not be recognized by it.
- Make sure your device’s battery is fully charged for an uninterrupted installation.
- This procedure is very technical and it should be performed by a user with solid knowledge of rooting.
- Follow the step by step installation process properly, to prevent an irreversible damage to your smartphone.
How To Install Pure Nexus Project Android 7.0 Nougat Custom ROM On OnePlus One
- Download Pure Nexus Project Android Nougat Custom ROM from here and Google Apps from here on your computer.
- Connect your OnePlus One device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Place the Android Nougat ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the OnePlus One’s storage memory (only in the storage root folder).
- Turn off your phone and disconnect it from the computer.
- Perform the regular Recovery Mode by pressingand holding Volume Down + Power buttons.
- Entering the RECOVERY Mode, clear the device memory by selecting ‘wipe data/factory reset’. While operating under Recovery Modeuse the ‘Volume’ button to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options.
- Select ‘wipe cache partition‘to clear the cache memory.
- Go back to Clockwork Mod recovery, select ‘advanced ‘and then tap ‘wipe dalvik cache‘.
- Return to the main recovery screen and select ‘install zip from SD card’. Tap ‘choose zip from SD card’, go to Android M ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process.
- Now, repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps.
- Once the installation process is over, go to ‘+++++Go Back+++++‘and restart the phone by choosing ‘reboot system now’ in the recovery menu. It will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
- Head to Settings -> About phone and confirm the installation of Android 7.0 Nougat Custom ROM.