There is good news for all US Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 as a new update is now available. This new firmware is the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware is L710VPBMD4 version. This latest update is available for some regions by OTA or KIES.
It is important to note that your smartphone will be un-rooted after applying this update. If you want to re-root the device, you should to apply a suitable root method for doing this. This method uses the ODIN app. Don’t try to use the same on any unbranded Samsung Galaxy S3 device.
- Verify the model number by going into Settings » About phone.
- Perform a backup process.
- Also make sure that you note down the internet settings from the following path: Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Also for users who use the WhatsApp Messenger applications, don’t forget to save your messages from this application.
- Also, the Kies app can be used to take the backup manually.
- In case in your smartphone is running a custom recovery image such us CWM or TWRP recovery, you can use these to take a full back up using the NANDROID backup. This kind of backup saves as an image your actual ROM running on your device.
Download and install the proper USB driver for your S3 Sprint Galaxy SPH-L710 device, that is necessary for assure the connection between the Android device and your Windows Computer based.
- Charge your device’s battery to have more than 80% power level.
- Enable the USB Debugging mode, this option allows the PC to communicate with the Android smartphone and to transfer files between them.
How to Update Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 to L710VPBMD4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
- First, download the officially USA (Sprint) (L710VPBMD4_L710SPRBMD4_SPR.zip) file from here the size is 822.5 MB.
- Second, extract the downloaded firmware zip file, you should get a .tar.md5 file and some additional other files.
- Now, download Odin 3.07 tool. Extract its content to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and additionally a few others files.
- Next, power off your S3 smartphone, and remove its battery, wait around 5-6 seconds with the battery out and after that reinsert the battery in its location.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 device into Download Mode. To do that you need to press and keep holding the following combination of buttons: Volume Down + Home buttons while pressing the power button until a warning will be displayed on the screen and to enter into Download Mode press Volume UP button.
- Open the Odin3 v3.07.exe; make sure you’ll open such as Administrator.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 to the PC using for doing this it’s original USB cord.
- Now, make sure on the ODIN app the “Added!!” message is displayed. In case, this message isn’t displayed, you need to try reconnecting your device into other USB port, and reinstalling the suitable USB drivers.
- When the connection is successfully done the “Added!!” message in Odin will be displayed together with COM port and a number colored in Yellow. You can to move at the next step.
- Now, select the following files in ODIN app with the respective buttons from the folder where you’ve extracted the downloaded firmware file above on the step 2, and make sure you don’t skip any step and the instructions:
- First, click the PDA Button and from the extracted folder, select the .tar.md5 file, this step is required.
- Second, click the PDA button, and from the same folder such as above browse and load if there exist the file with *modem* in its name, in the case isn’t there you can skip this step and move to the next one.
- Now, click CSC button and from the same folder browse and select the file with *csc* in its name; also this step is Optional.
- Next, click the PIT Button, and from the same extracted folder browse and select the .pit file. Also, the step is optional; apply the same only in case there is a file with the .pit extension.
Important: Make sure that in ODIN interface window, the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check-boxes are selected; also, in case you loaded a .pit file select the check-box from Re-Partition option.
- When you are ready, click on the START button from ODIN app to start the flashing process.
- Now, wait ODIN for completing the installation process, and when the process is done, your S3 device will get an automatically restart and the ODIN app will display the PASS message.
- Disconnect the S3 device from the PC.
Congratulations, you are done with the process.
If the Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 stuck when booting and have stopped at the booting Samsung Logo animation you have to:
- Force to power off your S3 device.
- Boot the phone into recovery mode. To do that, you need to press and keep holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
- From the Recovery Mode main menu, select and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and after that Wipe Cache Partition.
Important: when performing a wipe memory process, it will delete your data stored in device’s internal memory. The systems file partition and not delete the data stored in your SDcard.
- Back into the main menu of the Recovery Mode and from the there select Reboot System Now.
Note: For navigating between the Recovery Mode menu, use Volume keys and for selecting an option use Power button.
For any other supplementary questions, please don’t hesitate to use our comment section bellow.