Today we are giving you a detailed tutorial on how to update your Samsung Galaxy S5 device with Android v7.1 Nougat-based CyanogenMod custom ROM. Samsung is already testing the Android Nougat on its Galaxy S7, S6 and Note 5 series devices, which are expecting the update in the first quarter of 2017.
But for the 2013 Samsung flagship, the Galaxy S5, there is no news about getting the new software update too soon.
However, thanks to a popular CyanogenMod developer who has released Android Nougat-based CM 14.1 firmware to eight variant of the Samsung Galaxy S5 model, the Galaxy S5 users can get a taste of Google’s new Android Nougat right away via CM 14.1 custom ROM.
If you are a Galaxy S5 user, you can update your device to Android Nougat by following our step by step tutorial from below, but not before ensuring that all the prerequisites and guidelines are met.
This Android Nougat-based CM 14.1 firmware build does not contain bugs and is safe to be installed on the Galaxy S5 device, but this CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM is a nightly version and you will notice that some Nougat features are missing.
However, keep an eye on the work of CyanogenMod developers this week will roll out an update which will incorporate the missing features and also some new ones.
Prerequisites and guidelines:
- In case your Galaxy S5 device is still in warranty period, you need to know that a custom ROM on your device makes the company warranty void and your device will no longer be liable to receive updates in future. However you can restore the warranty by flashing the Galaxy S5 device with the stock-ROM.
- Make sure your device is rooted before starting the custom ROM installation.
- The new Android 7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod CM 14.1 nightly custom ROM is designed to be installed only on the folowing Samsung Galaxy S5 variants — klte, kltedv, kltespr, klteusc, kltevzw, klteduos, kltechn, kltechnduo.
- To make sure that your device is suitable for this update, check its version by going to Settings -> About phone -> model number. In case your device’s version is not among the mentioned versions, do not try to update it, because it might end up bricked.
- Installing custom ROMs, requires clearing the memory of the smartphone, so make sure to back up all your data by installing CWM Recovery/ TWRP in Galaxy S5 device.
- Install the USB drivers on the computer, for your Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone to be recognized by the computer.
- Fully charge your device’s battery or at least 80 percent level, to avoid the installation process to be interrupted mid-way.
Disclaimer: The installation of custom ROMs procedure is very technical and should be performed by an advanced user in rooting and manual software installation Android devices. If this tutorial is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone being permanently irreparable. Also, as this tutorial is for informational purpose, Android Source team cannot be held responsible for any damage to your smartphone, so proceed with caution.
How install Android 7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM nightly on Galaxy S5 models – the procedure
- Download Android 7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM and Google Apps on your computer, from the links provided at the end of the tutorial and connect the Galaxy S5 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the Android Nougat custom ROM zip file into the device’s SD card memory. Copy the .zip file in SD card root and not in any other folder.
- Power off the Samsung Galaxy S5 device and disconnect it from the computer.
- Enter the Recovery Mode by pressing and holding ‘’Volume up’’+ ‘’Home’’ + ‘’Power’’ buttons in the same time.
- Once in the RECOVERY mode, clear the device’s memory by selecting ‘’wipe data/factory reset’’. While operating under Recovery Mode, to navigate use ‘’Volume’’ button and to select options the ‘’Power’’.
- Clear the cache memory of your Galaxy S5 device by choosing ‘’wipe cache partition’’.
- Go to ClockworkMod recovery, select ‘’Advanced’’ and tap ‘’wipe Dalvik cache’’.
- Go back to the main recovery screen and select ‘’install zip from SD card’’.
- Tap ‘’choose zip from SD card’’ and go to Android Nougat ROM .zip file and start the installation process.
- One more time reboot to Recovery mode and flash the Google Apps .zip file.
- Once the installation process over, navigate to ‘’+++++Go Back+++++’’ and reboot the Galaxy S5 device by choosing ‘’reboot system now’’ from the recovery menu.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S5 will take a few minutes to end the booting process, then go to ‘’Settings’’-> ‘’About phone’’ to confirm that the Android 7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM nightly is installed.
You can download the Google Apps from here, the USB driver from here and the Android 7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM nightly zip files from the following links depending on your devices model: