The Xiaomi Mi4 users can now install the official build of Lineage OS and easily optimize and customize their smartphone feature and its performance. Lineage OS custom ROM is based on the latest CyanogenMod 14.1 and adds the Android 7.1 Nougat platform on the Xiaomi Mi4. If you use a Xiaomi Mi4 device and want to know how to successfully update your device to Android Nougat with the official Lineage OS, follow the instructions given in this post.
According to users who have already installed this firmware on their Xiaomi Mi4 devices, the version of Lineage OS adds a stable and smooth Android 7.1 Nougat variant which wills to a power your Xiaomi Mi4 also if you complete this tutorial. So, it means you won’t have to deal with software related errors. Plus, the advantage of having new features, apps, and capabilities added by the new ROM is that you will be able to easily tweak your Android device.
Therefore, with the Lineage OS installed your Mi4 device will run faster and the battery life will be upgraded and you will be able to optimize everything else, thanks to the new abilities that cannot be found by on the stock Android firmware.
Because you will install a custom ROM and this update process is not an official process from Xiaomi, your smartphone’s warranty will be lost if you choose to apply the steps from below.
Also, you have to root your Xiaomi Mi4 for being able to flash the Lineage OS ROM because the internal system of your smartphone must be unlocked to carry out the procedure. You have to make sure a custom recovery image, such as TWRP recovery is installed on your smartphone. The custom recovery image will help you to perform the actual installation process and other additional procedures.
With the help of the custom recovery image, first, you can make a Nandroid backup on your Xiaomi Mi4, to save your Android operating system and ensure that you can return anytime to the initial state.
Also, create a backup of your Xiaomi Mi4 since during the Nougat update process you have to make a hard reset and make a wipe. Not clearing app data cache and wipe the system of your smartphone you cannot test the new custom ROM. So, syncing all your data with your Google account or use any other backup and restore solution to save your personal and system files.
After doing the backup, go to settings -> about phone and tap seven times repeatedly on the Built Number in order to have developer rights on your phone; once the Developer Options is activated, from this menu select the USB Debugging field. Make sure that the battery of your phone has enough power left because otherwise if your device turns off in the middle of the update process, it might get bricked.
For the Lineage OS installation on your Xiaomi Mi4, you will need a computer to download and save the files that are being offered below.
How to Install the Official Lineage OS based on Android 7.1 Nougat on Xiaomi Mi4
1. On your computer download from here the Lineage OS file.
2. Next, download from here the compatible Google Apps because they are not included in the update package and it must be flashed separately.
3. Save these files on the computer’s desktop and then power on your smartphone.
4. Connect your Xiaomi Mi4 device with the computer using the USB cable.
5. Select the files downloaded above and transfer them to your device. Once the transfer is done, unplug the USB cable.
6. Power off your Xiaomi Mi4 device and when the switch off process is completed reboot it into recovery mode.
7. From recovery remember, make a full wipe by selecting ‘wipe data factory reset’, ‘wipe cache partition’ and ‘wipe Dalvik cache’.
8. Go back to the main menu of recovery and select ‘Install zip from SD card’, then ‘choose zip from SD card’.
9. Find and pick up the Lineage OS package and the Google Apps.
10. Follow the on-screen prompts to begin the update process on your Xiaomi Mi4.
11. When done, go to the main menu of recovery and select ‘Reboot system now’.
Now you can test and see how the Android 7.1 Nougat based ROM is running on your Xiaomi Mi4 phone.