The official Nougat update will not arrive in Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, however, if you want to test the Nougat features you can use the LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM. It replaces the well-known CyanogenMod custom ROM, as it has been closed down a few weeks ago. Now you can use the LineageOS 14.1 Nightly builds for your Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet which packs all the Nougat features.
Before starting the installation process check the pre-requirements from below:
- Read the post and make sure you won’t skip any steps. Use this guide only for the 2014 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE and do not try to upgrade any other Galaxy Note tablets using the files given in this post.
- You must have a rooted Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE 2014 device, and it has to be installed in the latest version of TWRP custom recovery so that it supports the installation of Android 7.1 Nougat-based custom ROM.
- This tutorial is advanced users and Android Source Team can’t be blamed in case you brick your tablet or you lose any data files in the installation process.
- Also, make NANDROID backup, and Factory Reset the device. The NANDROID Backup makes a full restore for your device to be used in case the LineageOS Nougat 7.1 ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- The Factory Reset operation will wipe clean the system partition of your tablet, it removes the old custom ROM forces it to boot in the normal mode.
- If you want to save data from your installed apps, you have to do it before installing the new custom ROM.
- Charge your Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and make sure the battery level is more than 50%, otherwise, the tablet can turn off during the installation process.
How to install the LineageOS Nightly Custom ROM and Update to Android 7.1 Nougat Your 2014 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1LTE Tablet
1. On your computer, download from here the LineageOS 14.1 Nightly zip file and from here the Gapps for Android 7.1 zips.
2. Connect your tablet to the computer using the USB cable and copy the two downloaded files to the tablet’s internal storage.
3. After the files are copied, disconnect, the tablet from the computer.
4. Switch off the tablet and boot it into TWRP Recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons and release buttons when the TWRP Recovery Mode options loads.
5. First, create an NANDROID Backup for currently installed custom ROM, for that select ‘BACKUP’ option and select the system parts you want to save and then confirm the process.
6. Next, Factory Reset the tablet by selecting the ‘WIPE’ option and confirm.
7. Now you can install the new LineageOS 7.1 Nougat Nightly. In TWRP, click INSTALL, find and load the LineageOS Android 7.1 zip. Confirm the flashing process.
8. Once the new custom ROM is done installing, you can install the Gapps zip, too.
9. When the installation process is over, you can reboot your Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE tablet in normal mode.
10. If the installation fails to complete, repeat the whole installation process. Make sure you won’t skip any steps and that your tablet meets all requirements.