The official Android 7.0 Nougat update is now rolling out for all Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime devices from Central and South America. If the update is not available for your own Galaxy J7 device or you are running a custom ROM, you can use this guide and learn how to manually install the new update using the ODIN tool.
The Nougat update introduces notable changes and a new experience for your OS, so you will get many new features which were not previously available.
Before starting the manual installation process, check the prerequisites from below:
- Read all the instructions and do not skip any steps.
- Use this guide only for the Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime models, SM – G610M model. So don’t try to update any other Samsung Galaxy models with the files given below.
- Download Samsung USB drivers from here and install on your computer. The drivers will allow ODIN to detect the smartphone.
- For ODIN to work you have also to enable USB Debugging option from Developer Options menu. First, unhide the Developer Options if you don’t find this menu under Setting, You can do this by going to Software Info and by tapping seven times on the Build Number text. Then, open the Developer Options menu and enable the USB Debugging field.
- In case you flash the new Android Nougat update over a rooted firmware, you should know that the root access won’t survive the update process.
- Also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed, will be replaced with stock Recovery.
- If you flash the Android 7.0 Nougat update over a custom ROM, you need to Factory Reset the device after the installation process.Factory Reset will wipe clean system partition, removes the custom ROM and it will allow the device to boot in normal mode.
- If you Galaxy J7 Prime phone runs 100% stock Android, you won’t lose any data files in the process, and the phone should reboot in normal mode successfully.
- This guide is only for advanced users and we cannot be blamed in case you brick your smartphone or in case you lose data files in the process.
- Make sure you back up all the important data from your device, before starting the update process.
How to install the Android 7.0 Update for Galaxy J7 Prime SM – G610M
- Download Android 7.0 Nougat from here – G610MUBU1BQI3 archive file.
- Extract all the files and save them on your computer.You will obtain the G610MUBU1BQI3 update files.
- Download ODIN 220.127.116.11 from here and then extract the contents.
- Power of the Galaxy J7 Prime device and boot it in Download Mode.
- Run Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime with the computer using a USB cable and wait for the computer to detect the smartphone.
- Load all the firmware update files in ODIN: Click BL and load the G610MUBU1BQI3 tar.md5 BL file; click CP and load the G610MUBU1BQI3 tar.md5 CP file; click AP and load the G610MUBU1BQI3 tar.md5 AP file; click CSC and load the G610MUBU1BQI3 HOME_CSC tar.md5 update file. Don’t load the file with only “CSC” without “HOME”, because this file will wipe clean all the files from your device.
- When all the files are loaded, click the START button, the updating process will begin. Don’t press any buttons until the new update is completed.
- The smartphone will reboot once the installation is over. You can disconnect it from the computer and wait for the boot to be completed.
If ODIN shows the FAIL message, you need to repeat the whole tutorial once more.
If ODIN shows the PASS message, but your smartphone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, you need to Factory Reset it.The Factory Reset process wipes clean the system partition of the device, and it forces it to boot in normal mode.
The Factory Reset process should be applied also in case you have installed the new update over a custom ROM, otherwise, the smartphone won’t boot in normal mode.
How to Factory Reset the smartphone:
- Power off the smartphone and boot it into Recovery Mode.
- Select “wipe data/ factory reset” option and confirm.
- Reboot the device in normal mode.