The new OTA Android 7.1.2 update is rolling out to the Google Pixel XL smartphones worldwide, but there might be users, who are still waiting, for the new update to arrive to their Pixel XL devices. There is a possibility to update their devices manually, using the ADB Sideload tool.
So, if you are an advanced user and you want to learn how to manually update to the Android 7.1.2 your Google Pixel XL smartphone, then read carefully the lines form below and follow the step by step tutorial.
We should mention that the Android 7.1.2 update does not add too many changes or new major features, but is bringing more stability and bug fixes, for a better user experience.
You will find a new option in the Android 7.1.2 and that’s the“Swipe for Notifications” for Fingerprint sensor. After you complete the new update installation go to Settings -> Accessibility and then to the “Moves” menu to find the new added feature.
Now, let’s see what are the guidelines,which you need to check before starting the installation process:
- Don’t try to update any other smartphone or model then Google Pixel XL.
- The new OTA Android 7.1.2 NHG47K update file can be installed only on the latest Android 7.1.1 firmware update. So, don’t try to install the new update over older Android OS versions.
- This tutorial has to be applied only by experienced users, our team cannot be blamed in case you damage anything to your smartphone or in case you lose any important files during the installation process.
- Make sure that you back up all your important data, before starting the installation of the new Android 7.1.2 update.
- Enable the USB Debugging field from Developer Options. If the Developer Options cannot be find under Settings, then go to About Device and tap repeatedly seven times on the Build Number. Then once you see the Developer Options listed in the Settings section, find USB Debugging field and enable it.
- Make sure that you have enough power left on your Google Pixel XL device by checking the battery charge level . You need to have more than 50% charge left before the device powers off.
- Read the entire post and make sure you do not skip any steps.
- Please note that you cannot install the new OTA update in case you have modified your smartphone’s OS in any way.
How to install Android 7.1.2 update for Google Pixel XL using ADB Sideload
- First, you need to setup the ADB and Fastboot drivers together with the Platform-Tools folder, to be able to connect your Google Pixel XL device with your PC using the USB cable.
- Download the Platform-Tools zip for Windows click here, for Mac OS from here, and for Linux from here. Unzip the contents, and save them on the system partition of your computer.
- Download from here and install the Google USB drivers too.
- Download from here the Android 7.1.2 NHG47K update archive file and once the download is completed rename the file to ‘’update.zip’’ to easily flash the new update file from your PC Command Prompt/Terminal window.
- Place the update.zip file to the Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the Google Pixel XL device and then boot it into Recovery Mode.
- From Recovery Mode, select the ‘’Apply Update from ADB’’ option
- Connect your smartphone with the computer using the USB Cable and make sure that it has been detected by the computer.
- Go to the Platform-Tools folder where you have added the Android 7.1.2 update file and open a command prompt/terminal window.
- In the command prompt/terminal window you need to enter ‘’adbsideload update.zip ‘’command and confirm the installation process.
When the new Android 7.1.2 NHG47K update is done installing you can reboot your Pixel XL smartphone.