Today we will share with you a method to update with a custom ROM to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean the Samsung Galaxy Nexus device. Note. The point to be noted that it is not an official release by Samsung.
First you need know if you want to run this custom ROM you need to unlock the device bootloader. This remarkable work comes from ‘iwasaperson’ an XDA forum member who shared with us this new custom ROM of Android 4.2. This ROM comes with all Android 4.2 features and also including new features like:
- PhotoSphere camera,
- New keyboard,
- Lockscreen widgets,
- Google now enhanced, and other various features.
- This tutorial and all the instructions are only and only for the Sprint variant of Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Do not flash this custom ROM on any other smartphones or devices.
- Make a full Nandroid backup for the actual installed ROM. If this flashing doesn’t work or something not is ok for you, you can restore this actual ROM.
- Your smartphone need an unlocked bootloader and to be rooted and to have installed on it TWRP Recovery image.
- Backup all your important data stored in your device, SMS, app, APN Internet Settings, Call logs. To save your internet settings, you need to download APN Settings Backup & Restore app, with this app you will be able to save the existing configuration for the internet settings.
- To keep your applications and to make a backup for the actual list of applications, download and use the following app AppBack for Android.
- For your contact, you can use a powerful method to sync the contacts with your Gmail account. After the backup is done, and you have all data safe and if something don’t work correctly you can return at the actual statement, you can move to the next steps:
- Now, enable USB Debugging option from the device menu.
- Verify if the level of the device battery is more than 80%, and if it is not charged, if your device get a power off in the middle of the flashing process, you can corrupt some files or to brick your device.
- For applying this tutorial, you need to be an advanced Android user.
This post is only for the educational purpose. So if, anything happens to your device the android.sc team is not responsible for that.
How to update Sprint Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM -Tutorial
- First, download the custom Jelly Bean 4.2 ROM archive from this address. Save this file, on your computer
- Download the following Gapps zip files for JB and Spring Galaxy Nexus from the next link, save this file on your desktop PC.
- Connect your smartphone to the PC with the help of the original USB cable.
- Copy and paste the downloaded files from the above steps on your device in the internal SD card.
- Power off your smartphone and after that you need to boot it into CWM or into TWRP Recovery mode. For this, you need to press in the same time the next combination of buttons: Volume up, volume down and Power, after that you’ll enter in the fastboot mode, and there select ‘Recovery Mode’.
- Now, select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option, and confirm this, with this action, you’ll wipe the contents of the internal SD card.
- Then, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’, search the custom Android 4.2 ROM file and confirm that you wish to flash it.
- Repeat the step 7 for installing the Gapps zip file. When you finished to install you need to come back to the main custom recovery screen.
- select ‘reboot system’ option and all you need to wait now for your device will make the boot in normal mode.
That’s all you need to make, now, you join your Google account and take all the control over your Sprint Galaxy Nexus device.
If something is not working, or you have issues using this custom ROM you can get a restore using the backup ROM file.