Just like on any other Android smartphone, you can easily enter the OnePlus 5 into recovery mode.The Android stock recovery mode allows installing an OTA update, do a factory reset, wipe the cache partition, and gives you another way to boot into Android’s fastboot mode. The process to boot into recovery mode the OnePlus 5 is the same no matter whether you are using a stock recovery or a custom recovery likeTWRP.
OnePlus 5 is running on a stock recovery image that allows users to access the internal Android system, but this is hidden by default because inexperienced users might cause different breakdowns to the device. The recovery mode is a dedicated software that can be accessed independently from the Android mode, even if the other device’s features aren’t working as properly.
The stock recovery mode menu is limited by the factory restrictions and users can perform only supported operations such as installing OTA updates, making a hard reset, sideload new OS enhancements, or clearing app data cache.
For experienced users, to be able to gain full control over the Android system ,the stock recovery must be first replaced with a custom one such as TWRP. Once the stock recovery mode is replaced with a custom recovery, the OnePlus 5 device can be tweaked through various custom operations such as gaining root access by flashing SuperSU, installing custom ROMs, making Nandroid backups, removing bloatware, add extra features that cannot be downloaded from the stock Android OS and more.
Completing the recovery mode is an official operation, supported by your OEM and your OnePlus 5 warranty will not be lost if you apply the reboot solutions described below. Start by charging your OnePlus 5 before doing anything else, to avoid interruption during the booting process and soft bricking your device if the power left is lower than 50%.
Also,backup your OnePlus 5 smartphone, because if you are planning to use the recovery mode for tweaking operations, your data might get corrupted or your files erased.
How to Boot into Recovery Mode the OnePlus 5
- Power off your OnePlus 5 device by pressing and holding the Power key for a few moments. Wait until it is completely off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for a few moments.
- When the OnePlus icon is displayed on your device, release the buttons.
- Now, the recovery mode menu should be displayed on the screen.
- In order to navigate, use the Volume keys and the Power button, to select your options.
- If you want to go back to the Android Mode select “reboot system now”.
This is a more complex technique, but it can be used with other manual operations. For this, you need a computer with theOnePlus 5 smartphone’s drivers installed and Android SDK flashed. On your deviceenable the USB Debugging option by going to the Developer Options from Settings. In case the Developer Options is hidden, tap repeatedly on the Built Number until you see the ‘you are a developer’ message. Next follow the below steps:
- Power on the OnePlus 5 device.
- Connect the device with your computer using the USB cable.
- Go to the Android SDK folder and open a command window by pressing and holding the Shift keyboard key and right clicking on any blank space; choose “open command prompt window here”.
- In the command window enter: ‘adb reboot recovery’ and wait until the recovery mode menu is displayed on your OnePlus 5 device.
To access the recovery mode menu, you can use a dedicated app available for free on Google Play. There are different apps that can help you to access the recovery environment, but some apps might not work if root access is not ensured on your OnePlus 5 device. The Quick Boot app can be used for that. You need to download, install and run the software on your OnePlus 5 device to reboot into the chosen mode.
Hoping that this guide has been helpful, stay close for others Android related tips and tricks.