All Google Nexus 9 Wi-Fi devices are set to receive the Android 7.1.1 Nougat OTA update, but the update is being rolled out in stages and not all users will get the new OTA files at the same time. Users that haven’t yet received the new OTA update for their Nexus 9 Wi-Fi device— can use an alternate ADB Sideloading method to flash 7.1.1 Nougat OTA image file following our guide in this post.
Before proceeding with the installation of the new firmware update, check the guidelines below:
- Use this guide only with the Nexus 9 Wi-Fi devices and do not attempt to update other devices with the files in this post.
- If you have a rooted Nexus 9 Wi-Fi OS or your tablet is modified in any way, you cannot complete the ADB Sideload Android 7.1.1Nougat installation so; make sure that your device runs on 100% stock Android OS.
- On the Nexus 9 Wi-Fi tablet, enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu. In case the Developer Options is hidden, go to Settings-> About Device and tap seven times on the Build Number section, then go back to Settings open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- Make sure that the battery of your tablet is charged to avoid any interruption during the installation of the new firmware update.
- The installation of this new firmware in a manual manner is very technical and it should be done only by advanced users. We cannot be blamed in case you brick your Nexus 9 Wi-Fi tablet nor in case you lose data in the installation process.
Read also: Learn to use RAM Manager in Android Nougat
Once you have read the guidelines, set up the Android SDK for your computer that allows it to detect the Nexus tablet. The Android SDK will also help you to easily use the ADB sideload mode to manually push and install the new update files using one command from your computer.
How to setup Android SDK for your computer
- Download from here the Android SDK and install it on your computer.
- Go to the installation directory and launch SDK Manager exe.
- Use SDK Manager to download and install all the USB drivers and SDK packages.
- Then, go to the installation directory and find the ‘’platform-tools’’ folder where you need to copy the Android 7.1.1 Nougat update file.
How to install Android 7.1.1 OTA Image for Nexus 9 Wi-Fi
- Download from here the Android 7.1.1 Nougat OTA Image file.
- When the download is over, rename the file to update.zip to easier enter the installation command line.
- Put the update.zip file in the ‘’platform-tools’’ folder.
- Turn off the Nexus 9 tablet and boot it into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding at once the power, volume up and home buttons. Stop pressing these keys when the Fastboot mode option is displayed. In order to change the Start text with Recovery option, use volume up and down buttons and press Power button in order to select.
- Select ‘’apply update from ADB’’ option.
- Connect the Nexus 9 Wi-Fi tablet to the computer using the USB cable and make sure that the tablet is successfully detected.
- Launch a command prompt in the platform-tools folder and enter the ‘’ADB sideload update.zip’’ command to start the installation of Android 7.1.1 update.
- Confirm the installation process and when it is done, reboot your tablet in normal mode.
- Disconnect the tablet from the computer and use your default login info to regain control over your device.