Sprint has already started to push the Android 7 Nougat OTA update for their Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphones. Like all the OTA updates, the Android 7.0 Nougat update for Samsung Galaxy S6 is being rolled out in different phases, and all users won’t get the new firmware files at once.
In case, you don’t want to wait for the new update to be available for your own Sprint Galaxy S6, you can check the guide from below and learn how to install the new Nougat firmware update on your device.
The tutorial is useful for users running a custom ROM on their Galaxy S6. It will help wipe clean system partition permitting to remove the old custom ROMs and force the device to boot with Android 7 Nougat OS. For this, the ODIN app will be used.
Odin is a tool designed for Samsung devices to be used for the installation of a new official Android update and to restore the phone to stock firmware. If you choose to manually update your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 device with ODIN, first go through the below necessary pre-requisites:
- Use the tutorial if you are an advanced user and only for the Sprint (CDMA) Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone. Do not attempt to update other devices with the files found in this post.
- Download from here the Samsung USB drivers and installed them on your computer. The drivers will allow the computer to detect the smartphone when they are connected with the USB cable.
- On your Galaxy S6, you must enable Developer Options. This menu can be enabled by tapping repeatedly on the Built Number option. Once you have enabled the Developer Options menu, check the USB Debugging field.
- The official Android 7 update can be installed with ODIN over rooted firmware, but the root access won’t survive the update process. Also in case you have installed a custom Recovery, you should know that this will be replaced with stock Recovery.
- The new update can be installed over custom ROMs, too, but a Factory Reset process needs to be applied to the Galaxy S6 device after the update is done installing.
- Check the battery level on your smartphone and resume the Android Nougat update process only if the power left is higher than 50%.
How to install Android 7 Nougat Update on Samsung Galaxy S6 Sprint (CDMA)with ODIN:
- Download from herethe Android 7 Nougat update archive file.Once the download is completed, unzip the contents and save them on your computer. You should obtain the Android 7G920PVPU4DQC7 tar.md5 update file. Do not extract the tar.md5 firmware file.
- Download from here the Odin zip package and then unzip the files.
- Power off your Sprint Galaxy S6 device and boot it into Download Mode.
- Run the Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect your smartphone to the computer using the USB cable and wait for ODIN app to detect the device. If the device is not added, reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- From the ODIN main menu, click the AP button.
- Find and load the G920PVPU4DQC7 tar.md5 firmware update file.
- Press the START button to begin the Android 7 update process. Don’t press anything else until the update process is over.
- When theinstallationprocess is completed you will see the PASS message shown by Odin and the Galaxy S6 smartphone will reboot in normal mode.
- Disconnect the device from computer and use your login info in order to regain control over your Galaxy S6 and test the new Android 7 Nougat update.
In case, the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN or it gets stuck during installation, then you will have to repeat the guide more than once.
In case the PASS message is shown by ODIN but your device gets stuck at the boot animation screen or enters in a boot loop, you have to Factory Reset it.
How to Factory Reset Your Device
- Power off the smartphone and boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select “wipe data/ factory reset” option and confirm
- Reboot the smartphone in Normal Mode