Android 8.0 Orea is expected to be released exclusively for OnePlus 3. However, on taking a detailed look at the official release, it is recommended to try something else, something different in terms of Android experience. Yes, the talk here is around latest Linage OS build, which by the way is powered by Android 8.0 Oreo. Let’s start with this guide that would help you update the OnePlus 3 to Android 8.0 Oreo by using the new LinageOS 15.0 custom ROM firmware.
The OnePlus 3 is still a heavy-duty smartphone, so running on Android 8.0 Oreo shouldn’t be an issue – all latest Android features will execute smoothly and without leading to bugs, lags, hangs or other similar problems. But, since the official roll out is a bit far, you can choose to update right away by flashing the latest release of Linage OS. The credit goes toxda-developers, the LineageOS 15.0 software is readily available and now bootable for the OnePlus 3.
If you’ve chosen to try the Lineage OS on your OnePlus 3, first go through the necessary pre-requisites that are being delineated during the following list of tasks:
- Being with rooting your OnePlus 3 because a custom ROM can be installed only on an unlocked Android system.
- After this, install TWRP recovery on your smartphone because the custom ROM file can be flashed only through a custom recovery image.
- Remember to take backupof your data and to make anAndroid backup in order to avoid further unpleasant situations.
- Do ensure that a computer or any other similar device can be used during the update process – the LineageOS 15.0 firmware package must be downloaded on that device.
- On your OnePlus 3 you must enable Developer Options – this feature can be enabled by tapping repeatedly on Built Number (keep tapping until the ‘you are a developer’ message appears).
- Access Developer Options (do that by navigating towards ‘menu – > settings’) and check the USB Debugging field.
- Check the battery power on your phone. Resume the Android 8.0 Oreo update operation only if the power left is higher than 50%.
- Therefore, charge your phone if needed; otherwise, your handset might get bricked – if the Android OS gets turned off while you perform the update operation.
- Make sure to apply everything from this guide but only if you have OnePlus 3 – the update package from below is compatible only for this specific Android based device.
How to Update OnePlus 3 to Android 8.0 Oreo via LinageOS 15.0 custom ROM firmware
- Download the Android 8.0 Oreo custom ROM on your computer.
- Another thing to do is to download compatible Google Apps. This package is not included in the update file so it needs to be installed separately.
- Switch off your smartphone and then reboot recovery mode on your OnePlus 3.
- From recovery start the wipe: select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Reboot your phone after this and then connect with your computer using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the downloaded files and put everything on your smartphone.
- Remove the USB cable when done and afterwards reboot recovery once more.
- Now, from recovery tap on Install and load the Android 8.0 Oreo package. Swipe in order to begin the flashing process.
- If you’re not using TWRP recovery choose: “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Do not forget to install Google Apps too.
- After finishing this, go back to main menu of recovery and pick “reboot system now”.
Now you can easily boot your OnePlus 3 into Lineage OS 15.0 firmware.