One of the best smartphones of 2015 LG G4, it will probably receive the official updated to Android 7.1 Nougat, as LG has released the official Nougat update to its flagship phone LG G5 and is expected to expand it to V20, but for the moment no official information regarding an OTA update to the newest version of the Android OS has been made for the G4.
If you are an owner of an LG G4 and you don’t want to wait for the OTA update to be pushed by LG to your smartphone, you can install a custom ROM created by the popular developer community CyanogenMod. It has released the Android Nougat-based CM 14.1 firmware to the LG G4 models.
The CM14.1 software can ensure a stable and a smooth Android Nougat experience on your LG G4 device, but it is an early built and the update might still come with some minor bugs. However, no major problem has been reported by the users that applied this update to their G4 devices.
In order to learn how to install the CM 14.1 Nightly ROM on your LG G4 device to update it to Android Nougat you need to follow the instructions given below.
This CyanogenMod CM14.1 software weighs around 530MB in size and brings night mode, improved battery optimization, bundled notification, multi-window options, performance tweaks, and many exclusive themes and wallpapers, short cuts and some other features that enhance user experience.
If you don’t run a stable and a smooth Android software after the installation process, before resuming the steps from below, make a Nandroid backup on your LG G4 device to ensure you can save, and restore your current Android OS that powers your device. So, in case the CM14.1 custom ROM will not perform as expected, you will be able to go back to the stock firmware without problems.
Before installing the CyanogenMod ROM make sure that you’ve met the prerequisites from below:
- This CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM has to be installed only on the LG G4 international- H815 and LG G4 T-Mobile-H811models only. To check your device’s model go to Settings -> About phone -> model number and make sure that you own one of this 2 models, if not, please do not try on other devices because your device might get brick.
- Your device must be rooted, before going forward with custom ROM installation.
- The installation of a custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure you back all data by installing TWRP in the LG G4 smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on your computer, for your LG G4 to be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device’sbattery is fully charged, to avoid the interruption of the installation process mid-way.
- After flashing an unofficial Android update you won’t be able to reclaim the warranty of your smartphone as this process will void it.
- This procedure is very technical and it should be performed by users with sound knowledge of rooting Android devices. If the installation process is not followed properly, the smartphone may end up getting bricked or permanently irreparable.
- Proceed with caution, as this is on your own risk and Android Source team cannot be held responsible for any damage,if the smartphone is bricked.
How To Install CM14.1 Android Nougat Custom ROM Nightly On LG G4
- Download in your computer the CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM from here if you own a LG G4 international- H815 model and from here if you own a LG G4 T-Mobile-H811 model.
- Download Google Apps from here in your computer.
- Connect the LG G4 device to the computer.
- Transfer from your computer,the .zip files downloaded above into the smartphone’s storage memoryand unplug the USB cable when done.
- Power off your LG G4 handset and wait until the switch off process is completed.
- Perform Recovery Mode on your handset by long pressing Volume Down + Power buttons
- Next,entering the TWRP settings menu, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe Dalvik cache”.
- Go back to TWRP, select “install” and choose the .Zip files in the phone’s memory downloaded from computer.
- Go back to TWRP menu setting and approve the installation process by tapping ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’
- Flashing of the Android 7.1 Nougat software CM14.1 custom ROM begins and after few minutes, and a ‘Successful’ message appears on the screen when completing installation.
- Follow the same steps to install Google Apps.
- When done, reboot your LG G4 smartphone by choosing “reboot system now”.
- If faced with a boot loop problem, navigate to TWRP settings, and select ‘Wipe cache/dalvik’. That will help you resolve any issue with regard to the custom ROM installation.